1.4K views

Update by user Nov 01, 2014

It's sad that I am actually glad that other people are seeing this type of misuse of public funds.Something needs to be done, apparently this is a wide spread problem if it is happening in the Orlando area as well, how much of our tax dollars are being wasted this way by companies like Winn-Dixie????

My next door neighbor told me a few minutes ago that he use to see the same type of fraudulent practices when he shopped at Albertson's and Wal-Mart in the past, the people doing this act like it's some kind of joke and the stores like Winn-Dixie are either laughing all the way to the bank or just plain clueless, either case is unacceptable and I plan on contacting the Department of Children and Families Fraud Hotline on Monday and report Winn-Dixie at least, being I did not get any of the illegal customers information.They have a reward for reporting food stamp fraud, maybe with the reward money I can get my kid some cooked crab legs, and maybe even some shrimp and lobster!!!!

Original review posted by user Nov 01, 2014

This has happened countless time at both of the Bradenton Winn-Dixie stores I shop at. I get behind these customers that are using food stamp cards to purchase hot-cooked-steamed snow crab legs. I work two jobs and my wife works also and we don't spend that kind of money on what I consider a luxury food item. I asked the cashier why they were aloud to do that and told her that food stamps are not to be used for hot prepared foods, her only response was they do it all the time and so does she. She told me that the seafood or meat employees are suppose to re-weigh the items one they are cooked so they can not be purchased with the food stamp cards but never do. This has me so mad, to think that my hard earned tax dollars from the three jobs that are being worked from my home are being spent on such items, I never agreed to buy these people a hot seafood dinner, especially when I can't afford one for myself or my family. This is pure and simple FRAUD, and the Winn-Dixie employees are well aware of it and promoting it, where is the state to monitor this type of fraud? I don't think I would be so upset if it weren't for the fact that I have been seeing this for years and my child recently asked if we could by some crab legs while in line behind these people wasting my tax money; I unfortunately had to tell my son that I could not afford to buy any crab legs and then was laughed at by both the cashier and the customers in front of me using the food stamp cards to buy the cooked grab legs. To make matters worse, these same customers pulled out what looked like a huge wad of cash to purchase cigarettes, cigars, beer and wine on a separate order witch me wait even longer while my son was complaining about me not being able to buy him some crab legs. Winn-Dixie should be sued, they are guilty of purposely participating tax/food stamp fraud by allowing "customers" to do this and the employees apparently doing it themselves, I need to call the state fraud hotline or something to put a stop to this.

Sincerely,

PISSED OFF

Review about: Winn Dixie Stores Cashier.

Preferred solution: Florida Department of Children and Families should fine Winn-Dixie until they stop willfully participating in this fraud, the money from the fines should be used to support enforcing additional fraud cases. Food stamp cards should not be aloud to be used.

I didn't like: Fraudelent practice, Customer service-cashier.

Had an Experience with Winn Dixie Stores?

Comments

Atlanta, Georgia, United States #1275479

He's slightly confused.You can get crab legs..

However to get them cooked it's a cash fee for that.Just like you mentioned with your wings ma'am.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States #1275477

They have to pay cash for the service of cooking it. And very little of our "tax dollars fund food stamps..

Seffner, Florida, United States #1266655

I honestly dont know how they get away with it.Because i have never been able to do that not that i tried but lets say i had eligible food items and also some hot chicken wings all together.

The cashier cashes it in and all, i swipe the card and all but i still have to pay for the wings.Or if i get some handsoap i would still have to pay for it.

Naples, Florida, United States #1217921

LATISHA...You get food stamps based on income so what your saying by yall whitit's your saying people that actually try to better themselves by having a job and supporting themselves?

Have fun living off these whites taxes while u live with your parents till they pass away than end up on the street where u belong.Cardboard box house style

#1121959

First though, I want to address why I just called you a liar.Maybe one of you did see someone pay for crab legs with food stamps.

If you saw this happen at any time after 2004, you must have a very sharp eye as well as a knack for invading someone’s personal space at the grocery store, as all SNAP benefits are now processed electronically with EBT cards that look just like debit cards.

Second of all, how can so many of you claim to have seen this apparent travesty? I’ve seen people buy crab legs using ANY form of payment at the supermarket maybe twice, three times in my life. Now, anecdotal evidence is no foundation to make an argument on, right? Well here’s some math for you.

Per capita, Americans ate 0.57 pounds of crab meat in 2010. That’s 0.57 pounds out of a total 1,997 in a year, or 0.028% of food purchased in the US. I am really skeptical that so many of you were witness to such a minor transaction. Maybe you should all start buying lotto tickets, I don’t know.

So yes, some people have purchased crab legs using EBT.

If you claim to have witnessed this though, you’re either a liar, a no-good nosy neighbor, or a witness to a specific 0.028% of American food purchases.

But you’re probably still mad that the Poors are buying crab legs, living fat off the government dole, right? Of course you are.

The hard-working American you are, I know you’ve scrimped and saved to have a celebration every now and then - a 25th...

None of us live off crab legs or other “luxury” food items, though. If we buy them at all, we buy them to celebrate, be with family, eat with one another, take a break from life.

It’s still not fair, it’s my tax dollars! Yes, and it’s their benefits.

First and foremost, choice is an important pillar of American consumerist life.If you did not have the right to choose what you bought at the grocery store, you’d be up in arms.

According to the U.S.Department of Agriculture website, SNAP benefits (which are transferred to the EBT card) can only be used to buy healthy foods such as bread, cereal, fruits, vegetables, meat and dairy products.

The USDA also says that items such as hot food, pet food, soap, household supplies, beer, cigarettes and wine are strictly forbidden.

But the SNAP program doesn’t have any way to actually enforce the rules.Because of this, the “rules” are more like soft guidelines, and that might explain the massive increase in welfare recipients in the past few years.

North Miami Beach, Florida, United States #1073876

He is pissed off but cant spell allowed.

Orange, California, United States #1036623

The issue is not with Winn-Dixie but with the program itself allowing these people to buy expensive items.Why there was even some person buying a $60 birthday cake for their spoiled child(At Sam's Club) and paying with food stamps.

People on food stamps feel like they are entitled to free stuff, why one person complained that they had to pay for their tarter sauce because food stamps did not cover it, they made a huge scene in the store. The fact is they should be ashamed of making a scene because they did not get something they are not entitled to for free. Winn-Dixie is not at fault here. It is the government for allowing this, and the people who are too lazy to get a job.

Funny how they claim they are too ill or injured to get a job, yet they are not too injured or ill to go shopping or to the beauty spa.The worst is these low lives who cannot stop spreading their legs and not only do we have to feed the mother but her children as well.

to KevinRichards #1073955

You said on another post that you yourself are on food stamps and that you are one of a family of 11 children because your mother couldn't stop reproducing! Get your stories straight!

Yeah I'm sure you saw all those items being bought at once. Most people would have the common since to make those purchases on a different trip, other than their grocery shopping trip.